Filipino Pancit Sotanghon Guisado is another variety of noodle dish which uses Sotanghon (vermicelli) as the main ingrediënt. This dish typically uses anato seeds or Achiote (achuete) for coloring purposes but since it’s hard to find in our area, if not unavailable, i decided not to include it in the list of ingredients.
Ingredients needed for Filipino Pancit Sotanghon Guisado Dish are::
- 1 klo. Vermicelli noodles
- 1 chicken cube
- 1 kilo chicken
- 1000 ml water
- virgin coconut oil or ordinary cooking oil
- 1 medium sized onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 pcs small-medium sized carrots (julliened)
- about 1 cup spring onions (chopped)
- 2-3 tbsp. fish sauce
- fried garlic (optional)
Procedures for cooking Filipino Pancit Sotanghon Guisado Dish:
- Put the chicken cube in the water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the chicken and let it simmer until it becomes soft enough to fall apart on its own. (about an hour).
- Remove the chicken from the broth. Set aside the broth for later use.
- Shred the chicken. Discard skin and bones. Set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan. Saute onion and garlic.
- Add the shredded chicken and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the carrots and spring onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce and the sotanghon noodles. Mix well while cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Lastly, garnish with some spring onions and fried garlic.
Filipino Tortang Giniling dish is a simple Filipino dish which is typically served during breakfast or lunch. The Dish as described below is the traditional way to cook it. You can however add other ingrediënts like vegetables. Your children won’t have a clue!
The main ingrediënts needed for the Filipino Tortang Giniling Dish are:
- Three cloves garlic, pounded finely
- One large red onion, minced finely
- 450 grams ground pork
- One big potato, skinned and chopped in cubes
- One tablespoon black pepper (ground)
- Two tablespoons of soy sauce
- six pieces of egg (beaten)
- Oil for cooking
Procedure to prepare Filipino Tortang Giniling Dish:
Start to saute the garlic until it is medium brown. Add the minced onions and potatoes. Add the ground pork after the potatoes are half cooked. You may add some salt and pepper to taste and wait until the pink of the meat if gone and the ground pork is tender. Put the mixture aside and let it cool down. Then add the the beaten eggs to the ground pork mixture and mix all ingredients together. Pour the mixture into a pan and fry it until the color of the egg is golden brown on both sides. Serve warm with a sauce like ketchup.
Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad is a favorite Filipino dish among children especially cause of it’s sweet taste. Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad is typically served during occasions like birthday parties, Christmas and other special occasions. Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad is a fairly easy dish to cook and doesn’t take a lot of time to prepare.
The main ingrediënt needed for the Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad are:
- 250 grams of Elbow Macaroni
- One can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1.5 cups of drained nata de coco (coconut gel)
- One cup of Raisins
- 100 Grams of Cheddar Cheese
- One can of drained Pineapple (500 g)
- One can of drained Fruit Cocktail (500 g)
- One green apple (cubed)
Procedure to prepare Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad:
First bring some water to a cook and place the elbow Macaroni into the pan. Let it boil according to the directions on the package. When done drain the water and rinse the macaroni with cold water and let it cool down for about 20 minutes.
When the macaroni is done place it in a big bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.Mix all the combined ingredients very well and cover the bowl.
Finally place the covered bowl in the fridge for about an hour.
Lastly serve the Filipino Sweet Macaroni Salad cold.
Crispy Pata is yet another traditional Filipino Dish made from fried pork legs. Pata which means Pork Feet in the Spanish language is quite popular due to it’s crispiness and delicious taste after dipping it in vinigar with soya sauce. Even it’s not a healthy Filipino Dish cause it’s high in cholesterol, people can’t resist the the delicious taste of the pork and it’s ease to eat.
The main ingrediënt needed for the Crispy Pata dish are:
- One pork leg (pata) with skin
- Four litres water for boiling
- Two tablespoons of salt
- Cooking Oil for frying
- Three bay leaves
- One red onion
- Three cloves garlic
- Two tablespoons of sugar
- Half cup of water
- One cup vinegar
- Quarter cup of soy sauce
- One tablespoon of black pepper (grinded)
First take the pork leg and boil it with two tablespoons of salt and bay leaves in four litres of water for about one hour until the pork is tender. When it’s done and the meat it tender enough let it drain/air dry for about three hours. Make sure the meat is really dry and all moisture is out of the meat!
Filipino Tortang Dulong or fried (silver) fish omelet is a traditional Filipino dish which is simple to make. Unlike other omelet dishes the Filipino Tortang Dulong uses dried fish as main ingrediënt.
The main ingrediënt needed for this dish are:
- 5 cloves of Garlic
- One Onion
- Cooking Oil
- 1lb Dulong (small fried fish “biya”)
- Magic sarap
- 4 eggs
Procedure to prepare Filipino Tortang Dulong:
First you need to mix the four eggs with a tablespoon of salt, some pepper and a bit of the Magic Sarap untill it’s well incorporated. Next you add the fried fish, chopped garlic and chopped onions into the mixture and mix it as well. When all is well incorporated you put the cooking oil into a frying pan until it heats up. Take a cup of the the mixture and pour it gently into the frying pan. Cook the mixture until it gets a golden brown color (about 4 minutes) en flip it to the other side till it’s golden brown as well. Place the Filipino Tortang Dulong on a plate and serve warm.
- one cup of glutininous rice (sweet rice) flour
- six saba, sliced
- three cups of coconut milk
- cup of water
- 100 g cooked sago pearls
- one camote (sweet potato), cubed
- half cup of white sugar
- one gabi (taro root), cubed
The procedure to prepare this dessert is:
- Mix the rice flour and the water together and blend them well using hands until it gets soft and dough like
- Make them into small balls and place them aside.
- Put the coconut milk in a pan, add some sugar and bring it to a boil.
- Next add the sliced saba, sago, camote gabi and flour balls. let the mix simmer on a reduced heat for another 15 minutes until the whole mixture is properly cooked. When finished place it in a bowl and serve it warm.
- 5 cups malunggay leaves
- 2 pcs pandan leaves
- 10 cups water
- 15 pcs calamansi
- sugar to taste
Filipino Puto is a steamed rice cake that traditionally can be eaten with fresh grated coconut or butter. All Filipino’s grew up with this delicious commonly round shaped merienda. It is commonly served during parties, festivals and sometimes eaten for breakfast.
Ingredients needed to cook Filipino Puto Recipe:
- two cups flour or rice flour
- two tablespoons of baking powder
- one egg beaten
- half cup evaporated milk
- three tablespoons of butter or softened margarine
- one cup granulated sugar
- one and a half cup of water
Cooking procedure for Filipino Puto Recipe:
Put the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and mix all ingredients together. When it’s properly mixed add the egg, evaporated milk, melted butter and water and keep mixing it until it’s smooth. Put the mixture into a mold and into a steamer for about 20 minutes without opening the steamer. The Puto will be done but if you prefer to add some toppings it’s possible to put it now and let it steam for another 3 minutes. After 3 minutes you can remove the Puto from the molds and let it cool down. You are now done with making Puto and it’s ready to be served.
Cheesy Pineapple Chicken is a variation of the traditional Filipino pineapple chicken recipe. Aside from the traditional used chicken and pineapple that are being used for this dish we also added some cheddar cheese to experiment with the taste and I must say, it tasted terrific!
Ingredients needed to make cheesy pineapple chicken:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 kilo boneless chicken. cut into serving size.
- 2-3 tbsp. fish sauce
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 small can pineapple chunks in syrup
- 1 medium size potato, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 small size carrot, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 1-2 tsp. sugar
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into square
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
Cooking procedure for cheesy pineapple chicken:
In a cooking pan heat the olive oil and saute garlic and onion until fragrant. Add in the chicken and brown all sides. Add in the fish sauce and a few dash of pepper. Mix thoroughly. Add in about 3/4 cup water, the pineapple syrup, the potato and carrots then bring to a boil and simmer until the liquid is reduced to about half. Now increase the heat a little, add in the milk, sugar and pineapple, continue to cook until the vegetables are almost done, stirring occasionally. Add in the bell pepper and continue to cook until all the vegies are cook. Add in the cheese and continue to cook for another minute or until the cheese is melted and the sauce has thickened. Adjust seasoning until you get the desired taste. Serve hot.
Tapsilog is a combination of three tagalog words: Tapa which are fried beef strips, sinangag which is fried rice and itlog which means egg. Tapsilog is usually served for breakfast and can be found even in famous fastfood chains in the Philippines.
Ingredients needed to make Tapsilog
- 500 grams of beef
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper (grounded)
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of finely grated garlic
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 3 cups of fried rice
- 3 fried eggs, sunny side up
Slice the beef into small strips and place the sliced beef pieces aside. Mix the salt, black pepper, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar and garlic in a bowl. Get a transparent plastic bag and put the sliced strips of beef inside the bag together with the mixed ingredients. Mix the beef and the ingredients well and place the mix into the refrigerator for approximately 20 hours.Step 2: preparing the beef tapa and serving the dish.